Re: most flexible+responsive 4/4-5/4 CC????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Krause on January 07, 2001 at 00:43:18:

In Reply to: most flexible+responsive 4/4-5/4 CC???? posted by jon schultz on January 06, 2001 at 17:26:52:

This is such a personal question and everyone will like a different tuba, some will like several. Which is why I tell everyone to go try tubas and see what you like.
You and I and everyone else are not at all alike and we will not like the same tuba. Different backgrounds, different needs, different playing styles and way different opinions about how tubas sound. The biggie is different concept of what a tuba should sound like.
Damn. Put 10 pros in a room and 5 tubas. Have them all play all 5 tubas and each evaluate them. See if the differ on everything about the tubas in sound and in playing characteristics. Would love to see those answers. That would be a hoot.
I can name numerous tubas that would fit this bill. Take some advise, go to a show or a convention or one of the stores that has a big variety of tubas, go with an open mind and have some sun and take some ears to help you verify things you are hearing because the way a tuba sounds by you is not the same as even 6 feet away. Don't limit yourself to piston or rotors only, try them both.
Trust me on this. What I or anyone else likes isn't important, it might help in leading you to what is out there that is the most popular but the most important thing is the way it sounds to your ears and the way it plays for you that counts and how it responds to your embouchere and lungs and mind.
If you can, try it out in all the groups you play in and see how it projects in different playing situations. Band Halls, Churches and especially auditoriums where you or your group performs. This will give you a real good idea.
Charlie Krause
1-866-292-0847

Follow Ups: