Re: QUESTION FOR ALL THE MILITARY GUYS

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy Rummel on January 05, 2001 at 16:24:08:

In Reply to: QUESTION FOR ALL THE MILITARY GUYS posted by just curious on January 05, 2001 at 15:04:18:

My advice to anyone entering basic training is this: If you have to question on whether you should bring something or not, DON'T bring it!!! I can only speak from the Air Force side of the house, but early on (in the first couple of days) they do what is called a "shake down", which is where they root through all of your civilian possessions to see if you brought any unmilitary-related "contraband". Anything that is deemed unecessary (practically everything!) is locked up and will be given to you at the end of basic. I am sure that the other military guys and gals can attest to this, but you don't want to broadcast to your instructors that you are heading into a band after basic training. For some reason, they despise most musicians, and think that we are going to be living the easy life after training is over. My instructor didn't know I was headed to a band until the 3rd day of my last week....and he wasn't too happy!!

As for buzzing or practicing during basic, time will be limited or nonexistant. In the AF, everyone that is entering the band career field is required to play in the Drum and Bugle flight...this is in place of a tech school or school of music requirement. I was pretty lucky...there were a few weeks in basic that I had my face on a horn for several hours a day. Granted, the horn was a 3 valve contra pitched in G, and the mouthpiece was a K-Mart blue light special, but, I was playing nonetheless. Our Drum and Bugle group was even allowed to go off base 4-5 times to play in parades and for community festivals around the area. I was spoiled!! I can't speak for the others, but I think this is pretty atypical in the other branches.

Hope this helps!!!
Andy Rummel

Follow Ups: