Re: College auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jobey on January 04, 2001 at 02:42:04:

In Reply to: College auditions posted by Brandyn on January 03, 2001 at 02:11:02:

Brandyn,
Looks like you have a good list and a good variety of schools picked out to audition at. I think you should definitely do live auditions everywhere. This way you get to experience each place...both the school AND the city where you will spend the next 4 years of your life. I checked out quite a few places before I chose where to do my Masters. My choice was based on many elemants. All the places you have mentioned have great teachers...no questions asked. What kind of environment would you like live in? What playing experience will you get? Scholarship money? Is there a positive or negative approach at the school? Sooo many questions... My best advice is to visit every school you possibly can, talk to as many people at THAT school about THAT school as possible (as opposed to making decisions based on someone's opinion who obviously has a shitty attitude and remorse for certain schools for "who knows what" reason or another). Trust me, every school as its good and bad points...how do they weigh out in YOUR eyes? I am about to complete my Masters at NEC, and I have absolutely loved the last two years. I play with a fine orchestra at school and NEC's Jordan Hall is one of the most beautiful, vibrant, awe-inspiring concert halls in the country. The wind ensemble is great and getting better every cycle (new conductor...I love him!). I play with numerous other orchestras around the state, have played in and with great brass quintets (recently in Carnegie Hall with a group that formed at NEC 3 years ago), and I live and go to school one block from Boston's glorious Symphony Hall. Boston is a cultural Mecca and one of the most beautiful cities in the country. What an environment!!! Perhaps I would have received a better scholastic education somewhere like Eastman, but to be truthful, I was at the Rochester Phil audition a few years ago, and I really didn't like the city. I apologize to anyone from there who reads this...please take no offense...you would probably hate my po-dunk little hometown!! If you would like to e-mail me personally about NEC, please do so. I would be more than happy to enlighten you on the POSITIVE points of my school. Oh, by the way, 3 cheers to my Alma Mater...the 2000 NCAA Football National Champions...OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!!!!! (sorry FSU fans)

Follow Ups: