Re: Re: Re: Re: College auditions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Sutherland on January 03, 2001 at 14:12:40:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: College auditions posted by anon on January 03, 2001 at 13:36:25:

Anon-

I received a music scholarship, grants from the state of California, the federal government, and USC, workstudy, and some various private and government loans. I think that my parents ended up paying about $1500 one year out-of-pocket. I graduated with some debt (about 20k), but some of that was for the purchase of my horns.

As far as meeting Jim Self, I met him a year before my audition at a masterclass at USC. I never played for him and I doubt he remembered me. In fact, he wasn't at my audition, Tommy Johnson was. And by the way, Tommy Johnson was my teacher at USC, not Jim Self. There seems to be this notion that Jim Self is the only teacher at USC. Both teach there, which is one reason that this school is so great.

I know there were several people who got into the school with scholarship in the past couple of years who neither teacher knew at all. You do not need to have an "in". You just need to be a great player. So whoever told you that you need to know Jim Self before you audition was wrong. It doesn't hurt, obviously, but it doesn't guarantee you anything.

-Scott

Follow Ups: