Re: number of valves on BB's and CC's.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charlie Krause on January 03, 2001 at 11:35:34:

In Reply to: number of valves on BB's and CC's. posted by Duke on January 02, 2001 at 13:59:30:

The number of valves only makes a difference if you need the use of them. I love to play pedal tones and use the 5th all the time and would nnot own a tuba without one. Also i have found that on identical model tubas one having 4 and the other 5, the 5 valve tuba has a better sound, more body in the sound and is easier to play and more freer in the lower register.
Is it worth the cost difference between the 4 and the 5. If you never use or need the 5th, then no. If you love playing in the lower register like i do and you, like the more solid sound and playing of the 5 valve, then it is well worth it.
I've played a 5 valve CC since 1972 and a 5 valve BBb since 1995 and would not trade either for a 4 valve.
Do I use the 5th all the time, no. But i guarantee the advantages in having a 5 valve instrument outweigh the disadvantages and make it and me a better musical tool.
The use of the 5th in alternate fingerings and in low register trills makes life very easy and makes this one a very happy camper on his instrument.

Follow Ups: