Re: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sage One on January 24, 2000 at 16:24:48:

In Reply to: Re: Anyone go to or know about ucf?? posted by PedalBb on January 24, 2000 at 16:07:23:

I understand completely. I started as a music major, with a scholarship, and did exactly what I suggested to you to get my first tuba. The money was not earned DURING the school year, but during the summer. I worked really hard, and purchased a Miraphone CC my first semester. My parents were opposed to me studying music, so I got neither financial NOR emotional support from them. Yes, college is expensive, and you may have to make priority decisions. Get used to this, you will do it the rest of your life. Travel or swimming pool? Retire early or have enough $$$ to travel extensively? Kids or passionate pursuit of hobby? Marriage or playing the field? This is part of what I was talking about when I spoke of growing up. You have some things that you want:

Car
College Tuition
School of you choice
Tuba playing
Time to pursue extracurricular activities
College girls (again, I assume male -- forgive me if I'm wrong!)
Party time
Good grades
Sleeping late
Whatever else...

You have a given amount of time and money, and probably will not be able to have all of these things. And, sure, if the horn is there for free, great, use it. But if you REALLY want to play, don't let the lack of one stop you. Maybe you can attend a school where a car is not needed. Many such exist. Or buy a moped (yeah, I know, tuba on a moped, could be difficult). Point is, you get the freedom to make your decisions, along with it comes the burden of making decisions.

I wish you every success as you enter college. I'm truly sorry if I came across, as others have intimated, as bitter or condescending. I'm just an advocate for responsible and mature decision making. Seen too many folks with regrets, I guess.

Follow Ups: