Philip Jones Brass Ensemble recordings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael Sanders on January 24, 2000 at 11:07:53:

As a response to all the postings regarding the passing of Philip Jones, I wanted to let everyone know that some of those great recordings are available from Tap Music Sales, a catalog mail order company which advertises in the TUBA Journal as well as other professional publications. I have the 1999 catalog in front of me as I type this message and there are ten recordings listed. Some are on Chandos, some are on Claves, and the rest are on Marcophon. From what I can gather the Marcophon recordings are reissues of the old Argo releases, some of which have combined two LP recordings into one CD. May I recommend "Divertimento", "In Switzerland", and "PJBE Finale" as particularly good examples of John Fletcher's playing (IMHO), especially to some of the younger participants on this BBS who might not be familiar with John Fletcher's work. He was simply one of our finest and his musical personality will absolutely draw you in. Also check out his playing on the reisue of Andre Previn's LSO recording of the complete Prokofiev "Romeo & Juliet" on EMI Classics # 7243 5 68607 2 8. Fletcher used his 4 valve Holton CC on this classic which is a must for every (aspiring) orchestral tubist.

Tap Music Sales web site can be accessed through Sean's TubeNet under the "Shops" category. I hope this helps everyone.

Follow Ups: