Re: YOur favorite tuba solo CDs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on January 24, 2000 at 02:18:00:

In Reply to: YOur favorite tuba solo CDs posted by Tim C on January 22, 2000 at 18:18:16:

It's really great to see that there are now enough good CD's out there that this question even comes up. While not that old, I can remember when there were only 3 or 4 readily available. It was interesting to read all the fav's posted, and a kick to realize that I own most all of them.

If you are collecting tuba CD's in order to educate yourself as a performer, then you will eventually need to INVEST in as many as possible. Now, as you mention solo CD's, that does limit the search somewhat. It also serves to limit what you will ultimately be exposed to. Quintet recordings (Center City Brass is a great listen, as well a study of some of the quintet classics), tuba quartet (Steve Mead's March to the Scaffold), as well as other venues of tuba are must haves (check out John Noryko in the Disneyland "Side Street Strutter's"-Swing).

To be so bold, let me make a suggestion here. Compile a list of EVERYTHING, and regularly visit your local used record shops. This stuff does show up, and will serve to make the listening experience varied to the whims of the marketplace. I generally will spend anywhere from 15-45 minutes "fishing" for gems, and am often rewarded with various levels of success.

Now, aside from solo CD's, any suggestions of more mainstream stuff illustrating the uses of tuba???

Follow Ups: