Re: Re: Re: A Hypothetical Question for Jay Bertolet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 19, 2000 at 17:50:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: A Hypothetical Question for Jay Bertolet posted by TUBAdAMORE on January 19, 2000 at 14:12:08:

No, I think I'd pick the Cervany and sweat out the low B in the middle of the movement. The overall feel and tessitura of the second movement is one of the two major concerns I have about doing the RVW on the Willson, the other being the light quality of the faster passages in the third movement. I envision the end of the second movement being absolutely fantastic on the Cervany, especially the long crescendo where the initial theme comes back. That horn plays so effortlessly in the upper range that it would allow for some real singing to occur!

But my first opinion still stands, I'll know more when I actually start formally preparing the RVW on the Willson to see how it lays and what positives/negatives it brings to the piece. The last time I really worked this piece over, I did it on a Yamaha YEB-321S (GASP) and it fit pretty well except the low notes at the end of the first and last movements. That horn might have been a great match for the piece but Yamaha never made a 5th valve an option on that horn except the cheezy 5th valve mounted inside the 4th valve tubing which I thought was useless. The sounds of the Willson and the 321 are SO different that I'll have to see what effect it might have on my concept of the piece. You know, maybe I'll start this project sooner rather than later...

Follow Ups: