"Ragtime" (Broadway Show)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 05, 2000 at 02:29:54:

A couple of months ago, I posted an inquiry about the road company for this show. Mr. Eric Swanson e-mailed me from Dallas and told me how nice the people are that are involved with this show.

I had made comments in my post, which I will stand by, about how unpleasant some N.Y.C.-origined road conductors are, and how I was not going to put up with any more of those. After receiving the e-mail from Mr. Swanson, I accepted the engagement.

I would like to affirm what he told me about this touring company. All of the touring musicians involved with "Ragtime" are very polite and keep good senses of humor. Most of all, the conductor is an absolute prince of a man who makes all feel at ease.

If any have had bad experience with Broadway "road" conductors in the past but will have the opportunity to perform this show, I would recommend it highly. The tuba parts, being mostly, well - Ragtime music - are tons of fun (The conductor is not always "telling you how to play everything", either!), and the occasional baritone horn outings are nice distractions from the Ragtime bassline stuff.

The "race-hate/evil white man" plot of the musical is a very tired and overworked theme, but I am having a lot of fun just concentrating on the playing experience, and enjoying the EXTREMELY nice people who are involved with the show.

Follow Ups: