Re: Music Notation Software

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cazz on January 03, 2000 at 18:32:05:

In Reply to: Music Notation Software posted by Tom Brekhus on January 03, 2000 at 12:11:12:

Forget Finale (unless you've used it before and want to stay with something familiar), Sibelius has overtaken it as the industry standard, and is gathering considerable ground in schools as well.

I initially downloaded the demo version (everything works except "save"). It's not cheap but for the high-end professional notation capabilities it is unparalleled. It's also easy to use.

I also have the latest version of CUBASE VST SCORE (Which I bought because I had used older versions of Cubase, and had some severe deadlines to meet). Cubase Score's notation facilities are very good (but nowhere near as sophisticated or powerful as Sibelius).

Cubase's REAL power is in its sequencing side (editing digitally recorded and MIDI sounds). There is a "LITE" version of Cubase (MUCH cheaper) -- but I can't remember what features it doesn't have.

MIDI files can relatively easily be imported/exported from most of the various programs.

PC or Mac, it really dosen't matter these days, all software is avaliable for all the common computer platforms. However, I highly recommend a larger-than-standard monitor - I was given this tip and got a 17" (instead of 15") and it sure makes looking at scores easier!

If you are executing simple notation tasks only, e.g. a few scales/exercises/basic tunes for students, go with one of the cheaper (or even free) simple notation editors. The two programs I've mentioned here are for the more serious end of things (and leave more of a dent in the hip pocket).

------------------------------

A while ago when I had just bought my new PC, I posted a similar question here on the BBS; "Favourite music notation/sequencing software?" and the resounding response was Sibelius. And now I know why.

Follow Ups: