Re: Biggerbetterfastermore sound

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 03, 2000 at 16:03:49:

In Reply to: Biggerbetterfastermore sound posted by Scott Haney on January 03, 2000 at 10:07:32:

The comments already posted are excellent advice! Here are a couple of things to think about in terms of projection.

From a physics standpoint, the fundamental component of sound carries more than the overtone component. This is why many orchestral players are switching to bigger equipment and also why when you sit next to a loud player it can sound crass. Every great tuba player I ever heard didn't sound pleasant at all up close when playing loud. But put them in a hall, with or without an orchestra, and the effect was dramatically different.

Your statement "I'm pushing as much as I can" makes me worry that you could be overblowing the tuba and robbing yourself of your projection. I would focus on two things in this regard. First, make sure you're hitting the EXACT centers of all the pitches you produce. Think like Mark McGwire, he doesn't have to swing particularly hard to hit the ball out because of the size of his arms. The key is to make perfectly clean and solid contact. Second, make sure you're not all knotted up physically trying to play loud. The key to the easy swing is to be as relaxed as possible and move massive amounts of air. Just avoid the straining.

As a practice device, I would try the Bell Scales, a daily routine by William Bell. They are available through Encore in a version edited by Abe Torchinsky. My advice would be to get the routine and then have a lesson with someone who learned the scales from Bell himself. There are several such players around these days. My experience is that the scales have to be performed a very specific way and Bell taught his students this. I learned mine from Torchinsky who learned them from Bell. This routine has several sections which are designed to help your strength and endurance in loud playing.

I really don't think your problem is your equipment. The Cervany is plenty capable of playing loud. With its large bore, I actually find it a challenge to overblow. Like others said, just be sure that the sound you're hearing when you play loud is the right sound. It will sound different when you turn up the volume so be ready for that. Good luck!

Follow Ups: