Re: Sousa`s Giant Tuba`s

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D. Seebaugh on January 30, 1999 at 08:58:49:

In Reply to: Sousa`s Giant Tuba`s posted by Steve Noel on January 30, 1999 at 06:56:13:

This is the subject of an active thread on the TUBAEUPH mailing list. The Carl Fischer-labeled giant tuba is a very tall (perhaps 7') three-valve horn. My guess is that it is a BBBb instrument. The feeling (at the moment) on the mailing list seems to be that Sousa didn't use tubas of this size in his band (it doesn't appear to mentioned in any of the known biographies of Sousa). Anyway, I visit Carl Fischer regularly (I live in New York) and the tuba is very sad-looking. It is sitting on its bell and has numerous dents. The last time that I checked (while nobody was looking), the valves moved. It is just begging to be restored (or spruced up a bit). The staff at the store doesn't seem to know much about it. I wonder if they would consider selling it... I will take a picture during my next visit and post it. I have a picture of the large Harvard BBBb tuba on my web site. There are also images of large tubas at: http://www.harrogate.co.uk/harrogate-band/humour.htm

David

Follow Ups: