Re: Miraphone 188-5U With Lacquer Removed

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on January 18, 1999 at 03:50:23:

In Reply to: Miraphone 188-5U With Lacquer Removed posted by Max Mearse on January 17, 1999 at 20:42:39:

You did not mention price, but as for the horn:
I know several people who would jump at a chance for a 188. Of course the playing will tell the story. If it plays well and does for you what you want, then the decision is easy. Regarding the finish, I do not prescribe to the "remove the lacquer" school of thought, but being that the finish is already gone, I think I would leave it alone. I seriously doubt the additional cost would support the resulting bennifits.

I believe (if I liked the horn and made the purchase) I would have the horn professionally cleaned and enoy what the horn has to offer. Unless particularly abused, the rotors will likely be every bit as fast (and quiet) as new. I own two mirafones (both made in late 70's & early 80's) and have nothing but praise for the craftmanship. If you are not used to the 2 step 5th valve, it may take some getting used to. Suggestion, if you do accept this horn, and if the 5th valve is operated by the left thumb (my strong preference as this is the most comfortable horn configuration I have ever played), remove the thumb ring (it should be screw on adjustable type) and play with the right hand free. Takes a little getting used to but results in a free and relaxed right hand technique (hey, you can always put it back!).

As for resale, this will likely not be your last horn, but just one in your collection. Hope this help some...and good luck!

Follow Ups: