Re: York Tuba Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on January 13, 1999 at 13:36:21:

In Reply to: York Tuba Questions posted by Bill Y. on January 12, 1999 at 19:00:43:

The York "Master" BBb was the first tuba I ever owned. It is an excellent BBb tuba with a wonderful sound and very reasonable intonation tendencies. I sold mine in my freshman year of college because I needed a CC tuba and I didn't want to take a chance on cutting the York into a CC. I sold mine, in 1979, for $1500 with a two-part case. Mine was a bell-up version but you still needed two cases (one for the body and one for the bell) because of the detachable bell. My guess is that, unless there is something seriously wrong with the tuba, the York you have found is probably worth $1500.

As a side note, I ran into the guy who bought my instrument at an audition years later. He had taken the tuba to Rob Rusk and had him cut it into a CC. The guy let me play the finished product and I have to say, it was a very fine sounding tuba. It had some funny intonation problems but what a sound! Anyhow, the York "Master" is a prime candidate for modification into CC if you ever decide that is what you need. My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: