Re: Re: St. Petersburg - Anybody played one?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul on January 11, 1999 at 17:24:54:

In Reply to: Re: St. Petersburg - Anybody played one? posted by Rick on January 11, 1999 at 10:39:58:

I acually purchasd one from tuba exchange and i love it i spent far less than i would have on a new mirafone or higher quality tuba. Rick is right there is "thing" that sticks out and makes the tuba very uncomfortable to play straight up on my knees but with a lil tilt to the left the problem was not too severe. The metal quality is not the sturdiest but if you take good care of it it is okay i had a lil damage on shipping but was only a small cosmetic discolortion of lacquer. The valves i hear are questionable but I am a tuba major in college I have payed solos chamber works and band pieces with no problems. I keep the slides and valves well lubricated and maintained. The big sound you get is incredible in high school i played a miraphone 186 and had purchased a yamaha 621-S this horn in my opinion is far more superior in sound. All in all it comes down to you the player what kind of playing you intend o do if music performance is going to be yor profession a used or new CC horn maybe looking into if it is for all around playing and you rather not learn new fingerings this horn seems a wise choice my advise be is find a store or go to your state's annual band convention and try out a variety of horns with a variety of mouthpieces. The tuba exchange or Die Tuba on the net are good places to find these tubas.
Paul

Follow Ups: