Re: "New" Miraphone S-186 CC 5 rotors vs. "Legendary" CC 186-5U

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bryan on January 07, 1999 at 14:18:39:

In Reply to: "New" Miraphone S-186 CC 5 rotors vs. "Legendary" CC 186-5U posted by Max Mearse on January 06, 1999 at 23:56:04:

Having owned both of these horns at one time or another, I can tell you that the difference between them is more than cosmetic. True, the S-186 doesn't have as much nickel-silver trim and so forth as the regular 186, but there's another big difference: intonation. The S model takes a lot more work to play in tune. This isn't just the one I had either, it was apparent with every one that I tried. I do have to say that the valves are lightning fast and just as good - you'll have to remind yourself to oil them!

I don't know this to be true, but I have a feeling that all 186's start out the same and the ones that aren't quite as good end up as "S" models. It is true in any manufacturing environment whether it be tubas, hard drives, or loaves of bread that not every one that rolls off the line is exactly the same. Many industries actually rate the end product as "A", "B", or "C" grade and each one is sold in a different channel and usually at a different price.

Do yourself a favor: Spend the extra money and buy the 186-5U. Better still, buy it in the rose brass if you can afford it. Remember, a good deal is a good deal but in most cases....you get what you pay for.

Follow Ups: