Re: Re: Re: 7th grader tuba mp situation - Creative solutions welcome

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Paul R. Ogushwitz on January 06, 1999 at 17:48:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 7th grader tuba mp situation - Creative solutions welcome posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on January 06, 1999 at 10:10:36:

In high school ... back in the Triassic period ... I would do high school band rehearsals (clarinet) and then go over to the Univ. of CT (same town) and play tuba with the UConn concert band. They had an arsenal of those gigundous Besson compensating BBb's with the nasty ball on the bottom. And I was just a little guy. So I know where you're coming from. One plays what's available.

And Rob, I agree with you. Eb is a good size for tykes. I've donated a couple of Eb Yorks to local middle schools over the years, and they have served the kids well.

It is a toss-up, however, because Eb fingering is usually different from BBb fingering for any given note. That's what makes the baritone idea attractive.

New small BBb's are being made. Last year, for example, I played a little Besson which was easy to hold. (That particular horn was, unfortunately, stuffy-blowing.) And I think Mirafone (???) makes a little piston-valve job ... well, maybe someone could provide a list of little tubas for the gentleman who asked the original question.

And then there are older horns -- like my 1917 Holton -- which are very light (20 lbs), very compact, and easy-blowing. Ideal for tubbers of any age.

Follow Ups: