Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mjg on March 01, 2004 at 15:44:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Thoughts on raw brass posted by Mr. Disagreeable on March 01, 2004 at 14:20:35:

While reading this discussion, I have noticed the word "value" being thrown around.

Value is not the same thing as price. Value is an intrinsic word, very intangible and aesthetic. Price is concrete and factual. Worth is associated with price and not value. If you ask what something is worth, then someone can give you a "price" they believe it is worth. An item's value is what you deem it being upon your own personal attachment for it.

Why do I say this? Because the value we deem a horn as having is a personal experience. Worth or price is factual. When dealing with an instrument like a tuba, we will only really know the price of an item upon its sale. If someone wants to pay more for an unlacquered horn thatn a lacquered equivalent, then the raw brass horn is worth more.

I have played and owned enough silver plate, laquered and raw brass horns to determine that I really don't care what the horn looks like, just how well it works. As far as students I have tought, they have bought some "ugly" horns, because they were a better fit for them then the pretty ones. Even if they did cost more than the pretty ones.

Follow Ups: