Re: Re: Re: Golden Section and

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 29, 2004 at 22:59:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Golden Section and posted by Eric Bamberg on February 29, 2004 at 20:18:54:

If you can tell me why 1.618:1 is specially able to eliminate unproductive resonances while enhancing productive resonances, then I'm (so to speak) all ears. I'm not saying that it isn't possible--I'm just saying that in my various readings on the mathematics of horn acoustics, the ratio didn't come up.

I've used speaker cabinets of various dimensions that were effective--even cubes. I have no doubt that the ones you mention are also effective. They probably have that classical Greek look to them, too.

On my side rant on conspiracy, of course I was using that as an example of attributing meaning to coincidences because of beliefs.

The biggest conspiracies may not be caught by government, but they tend to destroy themselves. Enron was really a small conspiracy, and still it caved in on itself without being caught by government (that came later). I suspect that most of the victims of organized crime are oganization criminals, and those who seek their services. If their consipiracies were effective, they would not kill each other off so unproductively.

I know a fellow who believes in his heart of hearts that the U.S. Government is keeping track of his every movement. The funny thing is that he does a lot of work for government. I asked him if he knew ANYBODY among his customers that was smart enough either to devise such a plan or to carry it out. The notion that all the smart people in government are hiding in a corner isn't realistic--my observation of smart people in government (and other large organizations) is that the vast array of those who aren't as smart are in league against them. (Of course, that is not a conspiracy against intelligence, but the sum of untold small stupidities.)

What makes large organizations effective is that they operate without conspiracy--they recruit people who share the organizaton's goals and empower them to act independently, with a shared set of resources perhaps, but without detailed control. In a conspiracy, their actions would be manipulated at the lowest level. The organizations that are least effective are those where the "conspirators"--leaders--are involved in the most detailed control.

Rick "who agrees with K that a person is smart, but people are dumb, etc." Denney

Follow Ups: