Re: Re: Raising the Pitch of a Horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Alex C on February 27, 2004 at 12:25:16:

In Reply to: Re: Raising the Pitch of a Horn posted by bloke on February 27, 2004 at 11:36:51:

I'm very interested. In my time studying in Chicago I talked with Shilke, some of his employees and craftsmen who had emigrated from Europe in other shops. The all said that the one rule altering a brass instrument was to never cut a tube that had a taper.

There was a German repairmen named Ernst or Herman in a shop in the North Surburbs who got overly excited when I asked him about this, "Ach, you never cut on de taper. Never! Do you hear me! NEVER CUT DE TAPER." I thought I'd re-started WWII. He made a fine rotary valve set for me.

I remember being surprised when Bob Rusk started cutting Holton tubas from BBb to CC but I assumed he had somewhere found 2 feet of cylindrical tubing to cut. I never asked him but I assumed he followed the "one rule."

So, in cutting a body bow to raise the pitch, are you not concerned about the taper?

Also, in the Conn Eb you converted to F, you said you were going to insert a tuning slide in the lower bow. Are you not concerned about adding conical tubing in a cylindrical section?

Thanks.

Follow Ups: