Re: Price of Horn (981)?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joel on February 27, 2004 at 09:20:14:

In Reply to: Price of Horn (981)? posted by Matt G. on February 26, 2004 at 22:17:13:

I'm considering parting with a spare 981 that I bought used last summer from the UK. It is of the older style than the current model and was a backup horn for a London pro. The new models are actually a bit more comfortable to hold for taller players as the leadpipe is bent to come out higher on the bell. The original Fletcher 981 model had a leadpipe that went straight around the bell, comfortable enough for Mr. Fletcher's height, but low for most players. My tuba has the common modification of the leadpipe bent so that it is somewhere between the old and new heights.

Most of my Eb playing is in brass bands these days and a fairly good horn is provided (model 982). The 981 is truely an awesome instrument. I understand that workmanship on the new ones is coming along well since Boosey and Hawkes was acquired in recent years.
If you would be interested in a used bright silver 981, please write me directly (jbristor(AT)comcast.net) and we can discuss further. If you want to buy a new 981, I would advise dealing with Mark Carter in the UK (Mr. Tuba). He personally selects instruments and would ship on to the US for about $7K plus freight and import duties. In other words, he does not discount as deelpy as we are used to in the US, but I believe would supply a better playing tuba.

Joel Bristor

Follow Ups: