Re: band rehearsal every day

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on February 24, 2004 at 19:47:04:

In Reply to: band rehearsal every day posted by ken k on February 24, 2004 at 19:25:14:

I came from a program where we had band every day on a 6 day rotation schedule. Granted, this was the mid 80's when you could do things like this (I guess).

I did not get tired of it. In fact, it was the highlight of my day. In the fall we would have marching practice when the wheather was ok and we worked on music things when we were inside. Lo about the 2nd week of the October, the holiday music would get passed out and we would stay in more and more. This band was an international champion: concert, marching and jazz band in 1983/84.

I do remeber there being issues with getting everyone to take their instruments home but it wasn't a huge problem. The program was set up to make it pretty difficult to hide so it was incumbent on the individual to practice. Was it an overly talented group? NO! But everyone was aware enough of the goal and most everybody was friendly to each other so a little peer cajolling went a long way.

Our band director was always an inspiration and led by example. Every morning he would be in the bandroom practicing everyone's parts on his trombone (great trombone player). He could also play most of the other instruments as well as any of us.

So no, I don't think it's a bad thing at all as long as work is getting done.

Follow Ups: