Re: storage question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 23, 2004 at 07:54:44:

In Reply to: storage question posted by arik on February 22, 2004 at 23:29:26:

Here's how I prepare a brass instrument for storage. I thoroughly wash and chemically-clean the instrument, then thoroughly dry it out. I use cheesecloth and a cleaning rod to dry out the valve casings and the inside of the inner- and outer slide tubes, and anything else I can readily reach. Then, I normally have the instrument sit overnight, to allow the inside to dry thoroughly. It is already assumed that the instrument has been turned, etc., to get as much water out of it as possible at the outset. Once the instrument is really clean and really dry, I will lubricate the slides with Hetman #8 slide grease, which is a synthetic that will not break down. I will assemble rotor valves with Hetman #12 rotor oil on the rotor facings, and #14 bearing and linkage on the end bearings, and yes, on the linkage, too. For storage, I assemble piston valves completely dry. If they are perfectly clean and dry, they will stay that way for years without trouble. When a piston valve instrument has been stored this way, oiling the valves is all that is necessary to begin playing it again. I would caution against using motor oil, etc., inside a tuba, as the hydrocarbon oils contain acids, and will not be the best protection for the instruments. Finally, I'd use a high-grade automotive wax on a lacquered surface, and Tarni-Shield on a silver-plated horn, to pretect the finish of the instrument while it is in storage.

Lee Stofer

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: