Re: Re: Re: Re: Holton Eefer's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on February 22, 2004 at 20:06:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Holton Eefer's posted by C(G) on February 22, 2004 at 18:59:59:

Chuck,

I agree with your conclusion. I've come to believe that one can't predict how a certain brand/model of an older tuba plays without trying the specific instrument in question.

Two recent examples. I played an old York Eb not long ago, and while it was ok, it was just ok. Then, I played one a couple weeks ago that was just terrific, and I grabbed it. The few newer model Ebs that I had tried out recently couldn't hold a candle to it. I haven't played enough samples to form any generalizations about York Ebs, but the best use for this particular horn is to be played, not parted out. On the flip side, I had a couple people e-mail who have had good luck with the Conn giant Ebs. I tried out one that was in superb condition... but I couldn't make anything out of it.

So, while I'm sure that trends or tendencies can be observed about a large sampling of a certain make/model...the best advice is still "try it for yourself and see". I suppose that's true of new instruments as well, but for some reason, the degree of variation in the vintage instruments seem more extreme. Manufacturing was not as uniform, and on occasion, this may be due in part because, as instruments get older, there is an increasing likelihood that shoddy repair work (which is not always imediately obvious)could be negatively impacting the instrument.

I think perhaps the most important application of these observations is caution for younger/newer players who read about a "legendary" model of horn, and then buy one off an auction site thinking that's what they're going to get. But, it would also be a shame for someone to pass up a chance to try out an instrument because they "already had the scoop on those".

Tony E

Follow Ups: