Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You HAVE to hear this

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 21, 2004 at 19:35:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: You HAVE to hear this posted by four fret stretch on February 21, 2004 at 18:38:12:

Well, that's how I'm doing it, but it hurts. My left hand just hasn't been trained to stretch in that direction. (One reason for my interest in bass rather than guitar is that the notes only usually come one at a time, precluding the need to learn bar chords.)

Right now, I'm working my way through general dexterity exercises, of playing all four fingers in all possible sequences in four groups of 16th notes, one each on each string. When I can do that, I think my hand will have learned to stretch. Then I can start working on learning the basic grooves in all the keys.

My goal is to be able to participate in a silly little country music sing-along that the Texas chapter of my professional society conducts. They are having a big anniversary meeting in June, and given that I was active in that group for 18 years, I'll be attending. If I can play bass, I won't have to sing. Tuba just ain't right for that gig, though they keep trying to get me to bring it. Of course, given the traditionally high levels of abject incompetence of those who participate, it's not a very challenging goal.

Rick "who thinks goals are good" Denney

Follow Ups: