Re: Re: Re: Any suggestions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 21, 2004 at 18:56:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Any suggestions? posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 21, 2004 at 17:32:25:

It's a K&M stand.

I owned (and still own most of) a DEG stand that I bought at least 15 years ago, and it always worked fine. I used it with my Cerveny, then the Miraphone, the Vespro, and the Miraphone again. They were all sub-20-pound 4/4 rotary tubas. Then I bought the York Master, which weights fully ten pounds more than the Miraphone. The DEG stand disassembled itself forthwith over the cours of six months or so.

Now, I have two K&M stands--one for the car and one for the house. They have a wider base than the DEG stands and won't tip, and there is not anywhere near the usual amount of plastic in their construction. They're built like a drum throne, of chrome-plated steel with heavy and well-attached rubber tips for the floor, in addition to a rubber cradle that is molded in one piece to avoid peeling. Folded up, it takes little more space than a folding music stand, except for the cradle. It's strong enough that I can stand on the leg and not ruin it. The only downside is that it doesn't go as low as the DEG stand, and that may be a problem for some tuba, chair, and player combinations. When I sit in those super-cheap mostly pastic folding chairs that a lot of event caterers use, I have to stretch more than I like.

Yes, they are expensive. But they cost less than many mouthpieces and all gig bags.

I don't use the stand for my F tubas--they are small and light enough to fit in my lap without killing my back.

It's very nice to focus on playing the Holton without having to worry about what would happen to my lips if it slipped off the edge of the chair.

Rick "who plays BBb tubas that usually require sitting on a chair and not a lap" Denney

Follow Ups: