Re: Importance of learning scales

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Biggs on February 21, 2004 at 16:06:06:

In Reply to: Importance of learning scales posted by Rob McGray on February 20, 2004 at 23:16:37:

Roberto-
I too am in a high school band. There are numerous flaws with your juvenile theory. I assume you're referring to the 12 major scales. To play these in succession should take about three minutes (especially if they're only one octave). When playing the chromatic, do you really know all the notes? Do you understand intervals and relationships between notes? Do you know alternate fingerings or slide positions? No, the chromatic cannot teach you those things.
Furthermore, since when are you OR your parents an expert in music education. Since you are first chair baritone, does that mean you know more about music than your band director? Since your parents are Boosters, did they automatically become highly qualified educators? No, obviously neither of these are true. You and your parents are exhibiting a repulsive arrogance. You should NEVER 'make' your band director realize anything. I have played with numerous conductors who I did not always agree with but have kept this rule in mind: "If you cannot respect the man, at least respect the position."

PS: I had only been playing tuba for four months when my band performed PSR at MICCA competition. I was (and still am) our only tuba. We received a gold medal. Does PSR really seem that hard now, Mr. First Chair?

Follow Ups: