Re: Importance of learning scales

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by For what it's worth on February 21, 2004 at 01:50:15:

In Reply to: Importance of learning scales posted by Rob McGray on February 20, 2004 at 23:16:37:

I can't quite understand why you are criticizing your band director for doing his job - I mean, just because you might know all twelve MAJOR scales doesn't mean that you have them 100% solid with perfect articulation, intonation, and even sound throughout the range of the horn. Some people in the band might get some use out of playing through scales every day - at least some of those individuals who use that time effectively rather than griping about how they have to play the most important fundamentals in playing tonal instrumental music each day. Of course, this is coming from someone who's working on their bachelor's degree in music education and performance - what could someone like me possibly know? My advice might be to quit band and join the debate team...they could use a cynical young chap such as yourself, I'm sure. It's best to leave your "ignorant band director" to destroy the reputation of his band altogether by playing through scales every day - heaven help him...

Follow Ups: