Re: Re: Re: Tuba Consumerism & Emails

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 20, 2004 at 11:23:30:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba Consumerism & Emails posted by Bill Nazzaro on February 20, 2004 at 09:28:03:

Yup. That's why most people who have a store-front business big enough to make it possible have a receptionist with a pleasant voice who has memorized the statement, "He's with a customer right now, can I take your name and number and have him call you?"

I was talking to a guy who managed a big tire store, and his principle was that the customer in the store is a real customer, and the person on the phone is not yet. Any action taken to win a prospective customer than alinates a current customer is likely to have overall negative results.

I used to be bothered if emails went unanswered. But then I realized that the only person I was hurting was myself. I guess I'm wierd, because all the stuff for which I buy mailorder is specialized enough so that if I cross off a major provider because of an insignificant inconvenience, it doesn't hurt him and it keeps me from getting the wierd stuff that I want. The reason it doesn't hurt him is that he already has more business than he can handle in most cases.

I also discovered that if I'm the easiest customer to work with, then I'll get the best service.

Finally, because of this forum I'm friends with most of the proprietors of tuba shops, and thus I deal with them like friends. I find that I get the same in return. That's not how I deal with the faceless and nameless order-taker at Amazon.

I was in Starbucks this morning, and the new person behind the counter went into the hard-sell trying to talk me into an extra-cost additive to my usual drink. She was new, and did not understand my mild irritation (which I did try to hide). The regular employees usually start making my drink when they see my car pull into the parking lot. What most folks really want these days is what conveniences like email have taken away--the personal touch and relationship that make it so that walking into a shop is a friendly activity rather than strictly a business arrangement. That's why places like Starbucks are doing so well despite ridiculous prices--the people they hire tend to be engaging and respectful, rather than the usual sullen and uncooperative. But McDonalds is a lot more convenient--I don't even have to get out of my car. (Yes, I know some Starbucks have drive-thrus, but not the one I patronize.) I'm happy to be business-like when necessary, but it's a lot more fun if I feel as though I'm a respected regular.

Rick "who spends more money when he's having fun" Denney

Follow Ups: