Re: Living In Apartment & Practice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Calkin on February 19, 2004 at 21:54:46:

In Reply to: Living In Apartment & Practice posted by Jim on February 19, 2004 at 21:22:51:

Jim,

My first suggestion is to get in touch with the local authorities and get a copy of your local noise ordinance laws. Here in Boise, for example, it is a violation of noise code if whatever sound I make is "easily identifiable" from any public thoroughfare, either vehicular or pedestrian. This includes, but is not limited to, voice, musical instrument, appliance or stereo amplification equipment. You can also be penalized here if any sound emanating from your place of residence is clearly audible from 60 feet away.

Now, we all know that with the windows open in the summer, I'm technically not allowed to speak in my own apartment. No one will call you on something like talking, but I think that neighbors can be very unforgiving when it comes to practicing a brass instrument. The reason I know my city's noise ordinance code, in fact, is that one of my neighbors was kind enough to put it on my door after an early afternoon practice session.

It's good to know exactly what you are allowed to do and what you aren't. You may also want to check with the owner of your apartment complex about their rules.

My fiance, who is a percussionist, had a great idea. After she got her marimba, she fastened a note to the doors of each of her neighbors' apartments that read:

Dear resident of (insert apt. number):

My name is **** ***** and I live in apartment **. I am a **** player and as such, practicing is part of my livelihood. I would like to be able to practice my instrument in my apartment, and I am writing to ask if you have any objections. I will only practice between the hours of **:** and **:**. If you have a reason these hours would be inappropriate (work nights, small children, etc.) and you have a time that is more convenient for you, please let me know.

If you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me at (***) ***-**** or ****(AT)******.com.

Thanks for your understanding.

Sincerely,
Apartment **

This gives your neighbors a chance to voice any objections up front, and you will come across as being considerate rather than just noisy.

HTH,
-J

Follow Ups: