Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to land gigs in new area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Roger Lewis on February 18, 2004 at 08:41:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to land gigs in new area posted by Joe S. on February 17, 2004 at 19:41:57:

When my wife and I moved up here, we didn't do any playing other than a free community band for over a year. We finally decided to contact some of the local conductors and arrange to play for them. 2weeks later my wife is principal clarinet in one of the orchestras and I'm doing all the sub work for a season, elevated to Principal the next season. One of the trumpet players is the top contractor in the area - he liked my playing so I started getting called for all the stuff his regular guy couldn't take. played in a modestly playing Summer band with the Principal tuba player of one of the larger local symphonies and was called to play some 2nd with them and am subbing for him next month. One of the trombonists in the band was the head of the music department of a local community college. He liked my playing and started calling me when he needed a sub in his brass band. (Learn Bb treble cleff transposition thoroughly).

Met a trombone player in the orchestra, put together a great quintet and started gigging. This was 11 years ago. Be polite, let your horn do the talking and never, never be late for a gig no matter what the pay is. My motto: "better two hours early than one minute late". It takes time but it is worth the effort and you meet a lot of great new friends.

Just my story (and I'm stickin' to it).

Roger

Follow Ups: