Re: Schmidt tuba or St. Pete

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Karl on February 17, 2004 at 16:18:20:

In Reply to: Schmidt tuba or St. Pete posted by Ralf on February 17, 2004 at 13:26:17:

I play BBb in a brass band. I have a Schmidt 2103 (also sold as VMI 2103 or 103) and my BBb partner has a St Pete. While the St Pete can produce a nice big sound because of its larger bore, I would agree with the earlier lister that, for a school setting, the 2103 would be better choice just because of construction. The VMI built horns also seem to have better reputation for intonation.

The St Pete used to have a bad reputation for its valves, but I believe the ones imported by Tuba Exchange (the only US importer of St Petes) have fixed that. I do not know much about their lacguer version, but their nickel plated version has a reputation of wearing out fast.

While I like rotary valves, I am not convinced they are the best for high schools. If they are not maintained well, linkages could bend or rotors freeze and then they become expensive to fix, whereas, if a piston becomes sluggish or sticks, usually a good cleaning and oiling can bring it back without a trip to the shop. Therefore you may want to consider the King, but they are slightly more expensive (several hundred). Plus, depending upon your budget, you may want to consider the Jupiter. It is a 4 valved piston at appr same price as the St Pete and 2103, but it comes with a hard case and is built fairly well.

Karl Parks
BBb, Brass Band of Central FL

Follow Ups: