Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: F Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 16, 2004 at 14:05:25:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: F Tubas posted by C(G) on February 16, 2004 at 13:24:52:

Of course, you are a throw-back. It's been many decades since school bands, for example, used Eb basses in the ensemble. I recall Revelli giving a lecture at TMEA at least a dozen years ago insisting that a concert band is not complete without an Eb tuba, and getting silent disagreement from the audience of music educators who didn't want to teach their students how to play them.

I think there's not much comment on brass band on this forum because there aren't that many people who play in them. Yes, there are some, and that number is growing, but it's still a pretty small niche in the American band scene. One thing that turns me off to it (besides the treble clef notation) is the competitive aspects of it. Everything seems to be a preparation for contest, and that's just the sort of thing I hope to avoid when I play music. Others revel in it, though.

Band transcriptions can be lots harder than orchestra parts. We are playing a transcription of Academic Festival Overture right now that is non-stop hard work from one end to the other. There is literally not one rest in the entire concluding 60 bars, much of which is played at full bore. I love the sound of orchestras, but I have to say that playing in a band is a lot more fun.

As a hobbyist, I find plenty of application for a bass tuba in addition to a contrabass, but I don't think I would enjoy having to play everything on it.

Rick "who is glad not to have to make that choice" Denney

Follow Ups: