Recordings of Interest to Tuba Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on February 15, 2004 at 21:37:53:

Ran across these yesterday and today.

1. Michael Daugherty- "Spaghetti Western" for English Horn and Orchestra. Not as wierd as the title may imply. Some astounding tuba playing in the 1st Movement by Matt Lyon with the University of Michigan Symphony Orchestra. This is an incredibly "tuba-friendly" piece that starts with a long, lyrical tuba solo. Mr. Lyon plays as well as any pro I have heard in the past 25 years, really, he is that good. The recording is available on the Equilibrium label-EQ 63. Probably can be ordered at www.equlibri.com. Buy it,it's good.

2. David Diamond- Psalm 81 for Chamber Orchestra. It has a credited tuba solo on the cd cover. I have it in the stack at work to listen to. The orchestra was the New York Chamber Virtuosi conducted by Gerard Shwartz. The tuba played may have Paul Neil, but that is a guess as I haven't has a chance to look at the cd again. Not a name I recognized. Anyone know the piece? I had programmed another work off the cd yesterday and it got reshelved before I could snag it. More later.

3. Borodin: Symphony Nr. 2 with the Royal Philharmonic/Ashkenazy. The tuba player was on steroids, really present and GREAT sounding. This isn't a great work, but the tuba part sure sounded fun.

Cheers.

Chuck

Follow Ups: