Re: ?s on low budget tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frank on February 15, 2004 at 10:19:33:

In Reply to: ?s on low budget tubas posted by Ken on February 15, 2004 at 00:07:46:

For guys playing for fun, especially if you never played a 4 valve horn, I don't think a 4th is essential. I am another one who was out of playing, in my case for over 35 years. I got back in about a year and a half ago. I never had a 4 valve to play in HS, college or in the service, and so never got used to one. At the community band level I don't find anyone complaining that I don't use a 4th valve. (They are happy just to have a tuba player) My ears must not be that good as I don't seem to need a 4th valve that bad. So until you find you really need to move up to a 4th valve, just get back into playing at a reasonable price. You can alsways spend more money later. I have three horns; one with 4 valves, and that is the one I seldom use.

Contact Matt Walters (Dillons), Dave Fedderly (Baltimore Brass), Lee Stofer or one of the other well known and highly respected dealers mentioned on this board for advice.

And take into consideration the type of horns you played way back when. That will give you a clue to what kind of horn you will enjoy playing. If you played a big American style horn in your youth, you may not be happy with a German style rotary valve, or vice versa. Also, there are other sources including Taylor Music, Barodi, Badger Music and others who rebuild horns.

You can purchase a good rebuilt horn for about the same as it will cost for a horn from the far east.

Whatever you decide, its great to get back into playing. Have fun.

Follow Ups: