Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: case repair?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 14, 2004 at 02:00:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: case repair? posted by huh-uh on February 13, 2004 at 20:08:35:

thanks...that dates the trombone to roughly 1954

the case needs two screws and grommets (if I find the right screws, I'll also repair a third - a non-matching one installed a decade or so ago by someone else who couldn't find a match...). The bell currently attaches ONLY at the brace, looks secure, but rocks up and down - is that OK? The slide is loose - I suspect it needs a strap but I haven't looked closely enough to see where it might go. The lining is purely cosmetic - I'll probably tack down the loose pieces and not worry a whole lot about the odd bare spot.

The two missing screws are to hold the wood block that holds the bell section. It *was* being held in place by the lining! I scrounged 2 woodscrews off my bench, but it will take an hour at ScrewsAreUs to find just the right replacements, and grommets to finish the job neatly.

Here's a woodworking question...suppose, just suppose, that the wood block, now secure under the lining, has a "guidehole" that is too big (ripped out by the missing screw?) The hole through the case is very small. Other than the uncool method of "insert a larger screw", do you have any suggestions on how to build up the "guidehole"? I'm thinking of a matchstick...

the point is that I don't want to rip off the lining to completely remove the wood block.

Follow Ups: