Re: Re: Re: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on February 13, 2004 at 09:56:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Jay Bertolet on February 09, 2004 at 20:21:36:

I've been through quite a number of (french) horn teachers; one thing that is paramount is that the teacher be "ambitious for you" but able to let you learn at your own rate. I had one teacher who decided after a few lessons that I was "unteachable" and who suggested, literally, that I take up the oboe instead of the horn. Now, that was not really very supportive of him, was it? And this....when I had a professional violin background, a degree in music, and perfect pitch, and was willing to work my tush off. I guess this guy just needed "instant" results, even from a middle-aged adult amateur.

I've had much better luck with tuba teachers, having run into only one who did not want to bother with me, but that was obvious at the first lesson so I did not go back. I got what I needed from a couple of other, very great guys here in town. If they won't play for you....don't go back; if they won't show you how they do it, don't go back. Encouragement is not teaching.

Recently I have found a horn teacher who is good for me....has a respect for my playing, and a desire to help me reach a higher level. He is giving me wonderful information and support, and I can hear a difference in my sound already. You can bet I will go back to him as long as he will let me, because I feel like he's on my side.

MA

Follow Ups: