Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John S on February 11, 2004 at 17:12:38:

In Reply to: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by Sean Chisham on February 09, 2004 at 00:28:08:

I’m surprised that musicians who love to perform wouldn’t like teaching, because I think of teaching as being merely another style of performing. Essentially you are trying to do same thing; communicate with and influence your audience.

Your students have to decide for themselves if they accept your example. Not every student will, but that doesn’t mean you have failed. I would suggest that teachers always have an influence on their students, even students who don't show immediate accomplishment. The most important role of the teacher, in my opinion, is to provide a positive and enthusiastic example to imitate. Honesty is essential if you want to be taken seriously, just as in performing. Be enthusiastic, so that your students know that you believe yourself what you teaching. Be true to your ideals. That’s all you have to do. If your presentation is honest, trust that you will have an influence, even if it can’t be seen until years later.

Follow Ups: