Re: Tubas, not music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jack Bauer on February 11, 2004 at 13:23:22:

In Reply to: Tubas, not music posted by Jack Bauer on February 10, 2004 at 15:02:58:

Surely all of you who say that you talk more about gear than music because this is a message forum and we can't hear you play/we can't play together etc. can't really believe that this is an excuse for not discussing music. If that were true, why do we have millions of books about music?

Some of you have said that I seem to want to start a thread about something so I should just do it. That's not really it at all. I was making a general observation about tubists in general -- why is it that you talk about equipment so much and so little about the actual music you're playing? Even when the odd person asks a question about recital rep or audition material or study books, there are a few responses -- but if I were to ask you the difference between a Mirafone 1291 and a PT6 there would be a dozen responses within the hour.

It's weird. What have you guys been playing lately? What are your favorite pieces to run through when you've only got a half-hour to practise? What sheet music stays on your stand day after day? Anybody discover any new pieces lately, for tuba solo, or a cool tuba part in a new band or orchestra piece? Do you prefer the Blahzevich studies or the Rochut studies? The Bobo book or the Arban for tuba? Stuff like that is interesting. It's about music.

Follow Ups: