Re: Re: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on February 09, 2004 at 21:59:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: I have a confession. I HATE TO TEACH posted by DS on February 09, 2004 at 20:02:14:

I will certainly agree that bad attitudes can spread like wildfire. I also agree that if the students show a track record of poor performance they should not be allowed to continue as music majors. Pushing them through the machine helps nobody, especially not their future students.

One of the traits of effective teaching is the setting of clear and challenging expectations. Hopefully, students know when they are not cutting it long before they fail juries.

I know that many music ed majors see lessons as obstacles rather than a vital part of their curriculum. Luckily, I haven't (yet) seen that in my studio. Coming from teaching in the public schools, being their marching band director while still playing pretty well, I think my students see that I value excellence in the studio. I try to model for them a commitment to continuous improvement on the horn. I may never become the next Arnold Jacobs, but I try to get a little closer everyday. So far, my students have agreed that success on their horn is important to their success in the classroom.

I certainly do understand "letting 'em go" when students aren't willing to work. But it seems as if many teachers want to boot students somewhat arbitrarily. Maybe it is my military background, but I truly believe in counseling students immediately when they aren't improving adequately. After building a dossier of failed lessons I suspect they would want to let themselves go.

Follow Ups: