Re: Band Directors - how to get there?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 09, 2004 at 11:40:54:

In Reply to: Band Directors - how to get there? posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 08, 2004 at 22:09:40:

It seems to me that most states have strict rules about the credentials of their public-school teachers. One would expect that the state-supported universities would be most closely aware of those requirements. Thus, I expect that graduates who seek a teaching position with a degree from a state-sponsored school have a leg up. I'm sure there are exceptions.

And some of the large state schools have a nicely broad program with many options.

I have a niece studying to be a band director at Ohio State, but I expect that any Ohio-State-like university would fill that role. One that comes to my mind is the University of Texas at Austin. Note that I did not mention state schools known for producing performers--these might have the competitiveness you don't like. Examples of that might include Indiana University and the University of North Texas. And some smaller state schools might be strong in education but weak on breadth, and the example that comes to my Texas-trained mind is Southwest Texas State University (which, however, seems to have a pretty good music program).

Both Ohio State and UT-Austin fall into the same category as the Alabama university you mentioned. I'm sure there are many others. These have the advantage of being recognizable, and credentials count much more in education than in performance.

I suspect that universities like these will provide the breadth of options you seek to a greater extent than private or traditional classical universities (such as your own alma mater).

Those studying Music Education as a degree program will likely not face the same level of competition as those in a musical performance program. The standards of progress are different, it seems to me, and more objectively measurable.

I would immediately reject a university that would not allow a music-ed major to minor in some other field. In my niece's case, Ohio State would have allowed her to minor in math, but she has not pursued that option. Those who demand an exclusive focus on the education part probably teach the wrong things to their education majors, or at least present the wrong example.

Remember, the more options, the more the student has to bring his own focus. Of course, you knew that already.

Rick "enjoying but avoiding the skirmish between Dr. Sloan and bloke" Denney

Follow Ups: