Re: 20J or 1240

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on February 09, 2004 at 08:07:06:

In Reply to: 20J or 1240 posted by BillV. on February 07, 2004 at 22:04:21:

Bill,
There is so much more opinion than science at this point, that none of us can tell you what would work best for you. If the condition of both instruments was equal, meaning that they were in equally good mechanical condition, there is still the player factor. I find that any of the old Conn 2XJ or 3XJ tubas are immensely satisfying for me to play. As long as they are in proper mechanical condition I have no intonation issues, and can get a very broad dynamic range (including pp) from them. For me, the King tubas are nice-enough sounding, but I cannot get the same dynamic range or depth of tone. Their intonation is basically very dependable, but no better than a Conn 2XJ for me. Both the Conn and King valvesets are dependable and valid options. I have played on both many times over the years, and I personally like the Conn short-action valves. If you want to have good access to the lower register without 4 valves, the Conn will play the false, or priviledged tones from Eb to B-natural better than just about any other instrument, as well as a Holton or York.

The only thing I would suggest is that, if you want a more politically-correct-looking tuba, get the one with the upright bell. Some people will automatically think you are a better musician if you do not bring a bell-front or recording bass into an ensemble. Also, the King may be easier for you to carry around, too. However, if you don't mind carrying a little extra weight and could care less what the tuba fashion police think about your equipment, then consider the Conn. And, if at all possible, work out a way to "try before you buy".

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: