Re: Re: Band Directors - how to get there?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 08, 2004 at 23:57:17:

In Reply to: Re: Band Directors - how to get there? posted by bloke on February 08, 2004 at 23:25:50:

I'm familiar with the relative merits of the various branches of UofR - I was on the faculty there and have a student there now. Certainly, what I have in mind *can* be done - but it's probably not the most efficient way. A bit like playing Mahler on a YCB-621. Good for the soul, but ...

I think my request for information was in keeping with my preaching. I'm looking for places where broad education and music ed training are the NORM - not simply POSSIBLE. "Design your own" can be done anywhere - I'm looking for a place which views my son's goals as the standard, rather than an interesting variation.

I offered Alabama as an example - their Wind Ensemble is world class - and chock full of folks with majors like Engineering, Music Ed and Engineering/Music Ed - as well as the expected crop of Music Performance practice room jocks. I'm sure that there are dozens of other places like it - but I'm ignorant and seek enlightenment.

I found a King 2B for $100. Eat your heart out... The youngster gets the King 2B and passes on the King 606 to his eupher brother - the one doing CS/Math/Music at River Campus and taking applied music lessons at Eastman...

So, Joe, now that you've sniped at my original post - do you actually have any ANSWERS to the questions I posed? Or are you just posing?

Follow Ups: