Re: Band Directors - how to get there?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Josh Calkin on February 08, 2004 at 23:26:04:

In Reply to: Band Directors - how to get there? posted by Kenneth Sloan on February 08, 2004 at 22:09:40:

Hoping for a double major involving music education might bve a bit of a long shot... for just about anyone. Just getting the requirements for the one degree done in four years can be extremely difficult, depending on the school, how much your son wants to apply himself and be burdened with classwork, how much he will want to practice at the same time, and whether or not he will need an outside job to get by financially.

I my own self took five years to get through a music education degree, partly due to the fact that I discovered partying and took to it a little too well.

Still, look at the fact that a music education has a lot of requirements, coursewise (it needed the most credit hours of any major at my undergraduate institution), and that many of the classes your son will take will be worth less credits than the time involved would normally dictate. I had to take classes in each instrument, and though they took the usual three hours a week (not counting outside practice), they were worth ONE credit each. Ensembles are also usually required, and they too are worth ONE credit for multiple weekly hours of rehearsal time, not counting individual practice.

I remember that my roomate during my freshman year was of a major other than music, and he used to complain that he had a full load. I asked him how many classes he was taking, and his reply was that he was taking five. His jaw about hit the floor when I told hm I was in fact taking nine classes. His complaining summarily ceased.

As a matter of fact, some schools (such as the one I went to) will not even allow music education people to carry a declared minor, because according to the classes required, a music education degree comes out equal to a degree in music with a minor in education. Another two psychology courses would have allowed me a double minor in education and psychology.

"We also figure that he will do a master's"

Yep. In many states, public school teachers are required to have earned a Master's degree by their fifth year of teaching.

So why do it? It's a lot of work, yes, but it can be also... no... IS also very rewarding. Student teaching was an amazing time for me. I love working with the kids. I'm currently earning my Master's and will be teaching in the future.

I didn't really answer any of your questions, nor can I really, but here's a cop-out half-answer to one of them: I personally have never met any band directors who did not have their bachelor's in music education.

Maybe there is someone on the BBS who has done a double major who could give you an honest opinion outside my limited expertise.

-J

Follow Ups: