Re: Re: Re: Re: Besson CC at Army Conference?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 06, 2004 at 16:20:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Besson CC at Army Conference? posted by potential-yes on February 06, 2004 at 09:27:19:

Dale,

I'm not basing my opinions on any hearsay, past performance, conjecture, or even "fluke" capacity that could be creeping into this equation. I'm simply looking at what is in front of me. I played the prototype at North Carolina in 2002. It was nice. My student here just bought one, it plays nice. He told me they had 5 to choose from, all about the same. He also told me that the folks he bought his from said they have more coming. I haven't heard a single report of one playing badly. Not one. And I know how much my student paid for his horn, the price is a steal for the kind of quality this instrument exhibits.

Here's some real speculation for you: If I were Besson and this product is as good as it now appears to be, I'd be inclined to believe that they would be a popular instrument, selling many units. Wouldn't I want to get the best price for those units possible? And isn't today's tuba market nearly as depressed as it's ever been? Prices have dropped quite a bit from even a couple of years ago. Even the euro is trouncing the dollar these days and still prices are low. Is it possible that Besson is withholding production until the time is right to capitalize on the widespread distribution of their new product? While I have absolutely no clue as to any of that being true, it seems just as likely to me as your assertion that Besson doesn't have the capacity they say they have to produce these horns for the low price while having uniformly good quality. We shall see.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: