Re: playing with earplugs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on February 06, 2004 at 01:06:38:

In Reply to: playing with earplugs posted by ben on February 03, 2004 at 10:18:40:

I wish I had them when I was playing trombone in a bar band with some college friends. One of our first gigs had me standing right next to the drummer's crash cymbal, which he used as a ride half the time. Afterwards, when I got in my car and turned up the stereo to where I could hear it, it was up so loud that it was distorting. LOTS of ringing in my ears.

Thanks to a risk assessment study done with our ensemble at work (I'm told we hit 145 dB or so!), I've gotten some musician's earplugs paid for, and for their purpose, they work. They're better than foam earplugs, not only because I can still hear things, but because they vent some of that in-head boominess that I'd get with foam.

I also noticed that I could hear every little thing that was going on inside my mouth, and I started making an effort to attack more cleanly.

I've also heard recommendations for using them in practice rooms, and I agree. Nearly every instrument is designed to fill at least a recital hall with sound, and a tiny room of 50 cubic feet can be abusively loud when you try to practice at concert volume. I've seen many players end up with what I called a "practice room sound" because, if they tried to play with good depth & volume, they'd be in pain from the sound levels caused by such a compact space. So, they play more quietly, and with a thin sound.

I recommend [i]good[/i] earplugs IF THE SITUATION DEMANDS IT. Any other time, they're not necessary, and probably detrimental. But, I'm interested in keeping what's left of my hearing.

Follow Ups: