Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinion on a horn please

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by C(G) on February 05, 2004 at 13:19:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Opinion on a horn please posted by Jm on February 05, 2004 at 11:19:27:

think it still be nice to get a bigger horn

I'd strongly advise you not to go overboard on this. Large contrabass horns, like the 3050 can be thought of as specialized tools. I've got several very large instruments and play them only rarely.

A smaller horn can give you more agility and definition. And often, it can be easier to be heard on one. In brass band, the Bb basses tend to have more of a color role than the smaller Eb basses.

True story time.

I play almost any chance I get and that includes all sorts of community ensembles. One such band is currently rehearsing the Holst Suite in F. Three big BBb horns at 3 rehearsals (yours truly included) and the director frowning because he can't hear the tuba line clearly enough. Fast forward to rehearsal 4. Running late, yours truly grabs his Eb in a hurry because it's already in its bag. Shows up at rehearsal to find that he's the only one in the section there. Typical large community band with only a limited understanding of dynamics (and intonation, but that's another story). Too many saxes, flutes and trumpets to give a decent balance.

Holst comes up and eefer player does his best and sees a big smile on the face of the director. After rehearsal, said chief stick-waver says that was the first rehearsal where he could clearly hear the neat tuba parts.

Go figure.

I'm not advising that you buy an Eb or F or BBb or CC unless that's exactly what you want, but don't get stuck wanting a large contrabass horn because of some testosterone-driven lust. It's not a do-everything tool and a good 4/4 bass or contrabass tuba can go a long way toward being a wise choice.

Follow Ups: