Re: Cerveny and technique

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill V. on February 04, 2004 at 21:33:56:

In Reply to: Cerveny and technique posted by Big E on February 04, 2004 at 11:28:30:

Big E:

I would recommend a cerveny for the situations you mentioned. I also agree with Rick Denny's post on the loud and soft playing; you control what comes out of your bell to a great extent.

I played a 686 in high school and it took me to all-state and honor band as well as putting out a great deal of volume (without the edge) to support the wind ensemble. I would pitch in the extra few hundred for a 686 over the slightly smaller 681. Cerveny's have thinner brass, so it would need a little more extra attention, but i'm sure you would treat it like gold if it was YOURS.

Good luck and I recommend making it to a dealer that has demos and compare/contrast several tubas before parting with $3-4,000. Even if you have to drive a ways, or take a flight... Then you won't be sorry.

As for a less costly option with more wear, used horns offer a great value if bought from a reliable source. Best of luck and I hope you find the "perfect" horn soon.

Follow Ups: