Re: Question about Tuba Buying

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on February 04, 2004 at 11:59:30:

In Reply to: Question about Tuba Buying posted by Mike on February 04, 2004 at 09:27:16:

Generally, it is not so easy to buy instruments from expos unless they are very late in the year. I've bought a couple of tubas at the Texas Music Educators Association conference, which I understand to be the last show in the show season (it's in February). MENC, being in April, may have next year's models, but then things may have changed since this knowledge came my way.

Another problem is that often the factory booths will not sell instruments to individuals, even if they are willing to sell them directly at all. When I bought my Yamaha 621 at TMEA, I had to locate a dealer on the exhibit floor who would transact the money, because Yamaha would not sell retail in deference to their dealers. I was able to do that, but it was an extra step that required a connection. Sometimes, the importers or manufacturers will be willing to locate a dealer for you if you work with them ahead of schedule.

I did get good prices on the demo horns that I bought at the expos, but probably not better prices than I'd have gotten from a dealer's demo instrument.

As has already been pointed out, shipping is often less than sales tax, so buying mailorder is not more expensive.

Now, to your choice of instruments. I'm not sure if I were in your shoes the Jupiter 482 would be my first choice. I played one at the Army conference and thought it rather more suited to a child beginner rather than and adult, even an adult beginner. There are other instruments in that price range that would give you more room to grow and thus allow you to keep it longer with full satisfaction, including used instruments.

For example, my wife's uncle is in his 60's, and started playing tuba again a few years ago after having not played since his school days. We eventually found a King 1241 for him, which is an instrument that perhaps not beautiful but which is an excellent instrument for playing, and which will give him positive reward for his improvement for the rest of his life. That's the sort of thing you should aim for, in my opinion.

The good thing about our industry is that you can call one of several dealers, explain your needs and budget, and they'll guide you to an instrument that will meet those needs as well as possible within that budget. Were I you, I'd call either Matt Walters at Dillon Music or Dave Fedderly at Baltimore Brass and ask for their advice. They will do what it takes to get a good instrument in your hands if it is at all possible.

For example, Dillon Music has a used-but-nice King 2341 (old style) for about (or less than) the cost of a new Jupiter 482. It's old, but it looks and plays good and it will be worth that price ten years from now when the Jupiter would risk being unsellable at anywhere near the price you paid for it. I played that instrument at the Army Conference, and thought it played well and was a good example of the breed. It was worlds ahead of the 482 that I also tried. If you were in the 7th grade, however, my advice would be different--the King is a full-sized instrument.

Rick "wishing you luck with your search" Denney

Follow Ups: